A Complete Guide to Lump Sum Lifetime Mortgages in Dec 2021
When you need cash in retirement there are very few available options.
If you require money to fund you for a lifetime, the lump sum lifetime mortgage plan may be your best option.
However, with unscrupulous lenders cropping up every day, you can get yourself cornered especially if you have no clue as to the workings of a lump sum lifetime mortgage.
Lucky for you, here’s an exhaustive guide that will help you understand the benefits, pitfalls, and workings of a lump sum equity release in Dec 2021.
If you don’t think this is your golden key to financial freedom though, be sure to check out the guide on ‘What’s Equity Release’ and figure out which best suits your needs.
What’s a Lump Sum Lifetime Mortgage Plan?
A lump sum lifetime mortgage1 is one of the most popular types of equity release that allows homeowners over the age of 55 to unlock a large lump sum of cash against the value of their estate. It’s ideal for those wanting to purchase a big-ticket item or go on a dream vacation.
Not what you’re looking for? Discover: Types of Lifetime Mortgage Schemes
How Does a Lump Sum Lifetime Mortgage Scheme Work?
A lump sum lifetime mortgage scheme works by the homeowner unlocking a tax-free lump sum, while still retaining ownership of their home and staying there for life. The loan, plus fixed compound interest, is then repaid from the sale of the home when the homeowner passes away or enters long-term care.
Interesting read: What’s a Lifetime Mortgage & How Does It Work?
What are the Benefits of Taking Out a Lump Sum Lifetime Mortgage Plan?
The main benefit of taking out a lump sum lifetime mortgage plan is that you can gain access to a large amount of tax-free cash.
Here’s more information:
- If you don’t need a financial product with many add-ons or extra features, then this may be the best solution to your cash needs.
- Most providers also provide you with lump sum schemes with competitively priced interest rates.5
- Since you don’t have to make any financial provisions for future drawdown reserve facilities or regard any month-to-month repayments, your pan provider can pass on these savings by providing you with more reliable equity release deals, including bigger lump sums.
- These are also perfect if you are looking to control your balance. It serves as the ideal option since it allows beneficiaries to monitor how the parents use the money.
- This gives you the financial liberty to use the capital as you please.
- You still retain 100% of your house until the life of the plan ends.
What are the Pitfalls to Taking Out a Lump Sum Lifetime Mortgage?
The main pitfall of taking out a lump sum lifetime mortgage is that the interest can quickly accumulate, leaving your heirs with less inheritance. Luckily, the ‘no negative equity guarantee ensure’s that your family will never pay more than the sale value of your estate.
Further pitfalls include:
- If you need to release more equity, you might need to consider going through another application process
- It can affect your entitlement to means-tested benefits
How Much Can You Borrow With a Lump Sum Equity Release Plan?
The amount you can borrow with a lump sum mortgage is dependent on the seniority of the youngest homeowner and your estate’s market value. The older you are, the more substantial the amount of tax-free cash you can release.
Equity release can be one of the most confusing financial products available in Dec 2021. It’s, therefore, essential to research and ensure you carefully understand the terms of the plans before going ahead to take one out.
That said, if you want to know more about lifetime mortgage plans, click below to see how much money you can borrow or talk with one of our experts absolutely free.