Use the FREE RIO Mortgage Calculator
See how much cash you can release from your home.
What are the Benefits?
- Unlock cash from your home.
- Releasing equity can have a MASSIVE tax saving.
- You’ll never owe more than your home’s value.
- Fast, easy & secure. It takes 8 seconds.
- Completely, independent advice.
- FREE, no obligation consultation.
About the Providers We Compare
- Helped more than 1 million with equity release.
- Organised over 1 in 3 plans approved by the Equity Release Council.
Did You Know? Every 12 minutes a homeowner over 55 in the UK unlocks £91,667 tax-free cash.
Want To Chat?
Chat with an Expert
* We’ll get one to give you a call.
Last updated 05 March 2020
Our Most Commonly Asked Questions
An RIO mortgage could be a great way to help you enjoy your later life to the full.
By borrowing a nontaxable lump sum you could be able to fund home improvements, help younger family members get on the property ladder, or simply maintain your lifestyle in retirement.
How much you can borrow depends on a number of factors, including your age, the type of house you own, and its value.
Use our RIO mortgage calculators to find out how much equity you could get.
Discover what is an equity release?
When comparing the RIO mortgage market, a specialist adviser will explain:
- You have to get advice before releasing equity.
- Check for plans that have a no negative equity guarantee, so you will never be indebted more than your home’s value.
- It reduces the value of your estate.
- The initial consultation is free with no obligation.
- The most popular form is a lifetime mortgage, which is a loan secured against your home. Note that you will still own your home.
It is a way of releasing the wealth (cash) tied up in your property without the need to move.
With these products, if you are over the age of 55, you can either borrow against the value of your home or sell all or part of it for a regular monthly income, a lump sum, or the facility to get at equity as and when you like or a combination of these options.
Use our equity release loan calculators to see how much you can release now.
Although there are many different schemes available, they can all be split into four categories of equity release schemes.
Lifetime Mortgage Loan
You release a lump sum from the value of your house, by taking out a mortgage set on your asset (provided it is your primary residence) whilst maintaining 100% ownership of your house. This amount, plus any interest accrued, (you can opt to make repayments) is repaid from the sale of your house when you pass away or move into long-term care.
Drawdown Lifetime Mortgage
This works similar to Lifetime Mortgage but with a regular cash reserve/draw down option allowing you to withdraw amounts at a frequency you like up to a specified amount of years, or until the cash reserve has been used up.
Interest-Only Lifetime Mortgage
You get a lump sum and pay a monthly interest on the loan, which can be fixed or variable, rather than allowing the interest to roll up. The amount you originally borrowed is normally repaid when your house is eventually sold.
Home Reversion Plan
Here, you sell some or all of your house to a home reversion provider in exchange for a lump sum of money or routine payments, whilst maintaining the right to remain residing in your house, rent free, for as long as you live, but you have to agree to maintain and insure it. At the end of the plan your asset is sold and the sale proceeds are shared according to the remaining proportions of ownership.
Not Looking For Equity Release?
Use our lifetime mortgage calculator to see how much you can release now
You are free to use the money on almost anything you like. There are many reasons for releasing equity from your home and here are just a few of them.
Common Equity Release Uses:
- To supplement your pension income to cover living expenses
- To settle a repayment mortgage or clear the balance on an interest-only mortgage
- To improve your life condition
- To see your family relish their inheritance while you’re still here
- To carry out some home renovations
- To take that holiday of a lifetime
- To help your children onto the property scale
- To pay off other outstanding debt and lower your monthly outgoings.
Use our RIO mortgage calculator to see how much you can release now.
Equity release plans are not right for everyone and it is important that you fully consider your options and receive financial advice before making a decision. It is also necessary that, if you do decide to use an equity release product, you choose one that meets your needs.
Remember that taking an equity release plan is generally a long term option. However, there are flexible ones available that may fit your varying needs and some will allow you to repay in the future without any penalties. A financial adviser can help you to choose the one that is right for you.
Use our free RIO mortgage calculator to see how much you can release now.
Are You Ready to
See How Much You Can Release?
SovereignBoss.co.uk is a marketplace connecting people with company. Accordingly, SovereignBoss.co.uk does not provide quotes or sell products directly to consumers and is not a licensed agent or broker.