Use the FREE Second Mortgage Calculator
See how much cash you can release from your home.
What are the Benefits?
About the Providers We Compare
Did You Know? Every 12 minutes a homeowner over 55 in the UK unlocks £91,667 tax-exempt cash.
Want To Chat?
Chat with an Expert
* We’ll get an expert to give you a quick call.
Our Most Commonly Asked Questions
- You have to get advice before getting trying this option.
- Check if it has a no negative equity2 guarantee, so you’ll never be indebted more than your home’s value.
- It reduces the value of your estate.
- The initial consultation is free with no obligation.
- The most known form of release is a lifetime mortgage, which is a loan secured against your home. Note that you will still own your home.
It is a way of releasing the wealth tied up in your property without the need to move.
With these products, if you are over the age of 55, you can either borrow against the value of your home or sell all or part of it for a routine monthly income, a one time payment, or the facility to get and when you like or a combination of these options.
Use our free loan calculator to see how much you can release now.
Although there are many different scheme available, they can all be split into four main categories.
Lifetime Mortgage Loan
You release money from the value of your property, by taking out a mortgage secured on your property (provided it is your main residence) whilst retaining 100% ownership of your home. This amount, plus any interest accrued, (you can opt to make repayments) is repaid from the sale of your property when you pass away or move into long-term care.
Drawdown Lifetime Mortgage
This works similar to Lifetime Mortgage but with a common money reserve/draw down option allowing you to withdraw amounts at a frequency you select up to a specified amount of years, or until the reserve funds has been used up.
Interest-Only Lifetime Mortgage
You get total payment and pay a monthly interest on the loan, which can be fixed or variable, rather than allowing the interest to roll up. The amount you originally borrowed is normally repaid when your home is eventually sold.
Home Reversion Plan
Here, you sell some or all of your property to a home reversion provider in exchange for a lump sum of money or regular payments, whilst retaining the right to remain in your home, with uncharged rent , for as long as you live, but you have to agree to preserve and insure it. At the end of it your property is purchased off and the sale proceeds are shared according to the remaining proportions of ownership.
Not Looking For Equity Release?
Use our free lifetime mortgage calculator to see how much you can release now.
- To supplement your pension income to cover living expenses
- To settle a repayment mortgage or clear the balance on an interest only mortgage
- To improve your lifestyle
- To see your family enjoy their inheritance while you’re still here
- To carry out some home improvements
- To take that holiday of a lifetime
- To help your children onto the property ladder
- To pay off other outstanding debt3 and lower your monthly outgoings.
Are You Ready to
See How Much You Can Release?
SovereignBoss.co.uk is a marketplace connecting people with mortgage firms. Accordingly, SovereignBoss.co.uk does not provide quotes or sell products directly to consumers and is not a licensed agent or broker.